For this exercise we were asked to produce and A3 poster and an A6 flyer for a singing club.
The first part asked us to consider the information were were given and question whether we had all the information needed to produce the designs.
I had a look at the info and tried to grade what I thought was the most important information thinking about the hierarchy in the poster/ flyer.
I thought that maybe it would have been useful to find out what age group the club was targeting as this could have a big impact on suitable font selection and use of image.
As the poster was to be in Black and White I decided that incorporating lots of images which would have to be printed black and white would probably be quite costly for the company and perhaps not be most suitable for the task. I did however have a look at Black and White posters as part of my research and put together a bit of a research board.
Based on the information to hand I also decided to think about what sort of things I could include in the poster and had a search for inspiration around the words “sing” and “music” and came up with some ideas around having someone singing or a mouth or I was thinking birds on a wire singing. I then considered the more obvious musical elements like music notes and piano keys but did think I’d like to try something a bit less obvious.
At this point I thought it would be interesting/ appropriate to do something quite typography based and in my research came across the work of Phillipe Apeloig. His work is really inspirational and he has an amazing ability to balance and position text sometimes what appears to be randomly but overall his work looks really balanced and striking. I’ve created another post with some of his work.
I thought about having different sizes of text and spacing things and thought perhaps I could work in my bird on a wire/ lines idea or on the idea of having text within manuscript.
I came up with a few ideas which I think would fulfil the brief in that it would work well in black and white, I think it would appeal to a broad range of people all united by their love to singing. The font selection differentiates the club name “SingOut” from the information which I’ve tried to layout quite clearly. The flyer could have the same information but laid out so that one side – just asks a question – Do you love to sing? – which then prompts the reader to flip over and find out more. The font Ayres which I used almost is quite ornate and almost looks like musical notes.
I quite liked being restricted to working in black and white and looking at the posters in my research it makes for some striking work. I enjoyed working mainly with Type and adding some design features – lines / small image and think that my final posters have some impact . However, I’m aware I’m still very much learning about Typography / placement etc so hope to develop my skills at working with Type in similar assignments/ tasks.
After tutor report
I made some tweaks to the layout of the writing at the bottom of the poster and flyer – changing from all caps to mixed case and moving it in from the side slightly.
I think these adjustments make the outcome a lot stronger and overall the final design is quite eye catching and meets the requirements of the design brief.